Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Vacation in Michigan!

So on the 15th of July, my older sister Claire came up from Florida to spend some time with the family and give the Lichnerowicz sisters one last hoorah before I leave the country for a year! That coming Friday (the 18th) we had my graduation/going away party which I unfortunately didn't get any pictures of (sorry!). The party was a blast and I got to see some close friends and family before I leave on August 25th to begin my exchange year. The day consisted of won and lost games of bags, swimming, indulging in finger foods, and sitting around the camp fire late at night with a few friends after the party buzz had died down.

Signature board from my open house
The day after the party, my family and I packed our bags and two cars and headed up to Shelbyville, Michigan for our week long vacation at a quaint little cabin right on the lake! We had our own dock with a paddle boat, small fishing boat, speed boat, and our two paddle boards we brought along! It was a little piece of heaven for the next 7 days. 
"The Beehive"
Dining room table decoration
View from the dock at night
Lawn chairs by the water - our "backyard"
Claire sitting on the front step with our little Tibby!
Sunset view of the lake and other docks from our yard

We spent most of the week out on the water whether we were boating, tubing, or paddle boarding! Claire, Hannah and I tested our balance skills on the paddle boards as we practiced yoga and other risky moves like head-stands on the paddle boards (which resulted in some off-balanced plunges into the water once in a while... whoops!). Later on we all tried tubing, even mom! As fun as it was we definitely all took a beating! Hannah and I even came off that tube with a few battle wounds and lived to tell the tale!
Hannah and Claire tubing!
Claire and Mom tubing!
Just us girls floating around!
 Dad, Mom, and Hannah on the boat... CHEESE!
Claire up front and center!
(Left to right) Claire, Dad, Hannah, & me!
Hannah & I

On Wednesday of our vacation, we all went to this outside dinner/live music venue on the lake and enjoyed some great burgers, cover jams of Jimmy Buffet and other great summer hits, and crowded conga lines on the dance floor!
 The family enjoying dinner!

During the evenings, we spent time trolling on the water simply to view the sunset and watch the sky change colors as the setting sun slowly disappeared behind the trees.
Sunset
Mom's wine glass... such beautiful colors!

We also spent some time getting a little creative! Claire and I painted and made some jewelry!
Jewelry!...
...more jewelry!
My painting (:

When vacation came to an end, we packed our bags and went on home. Although we all had so much fun out in Michigan at the lake house, it was kind of nice to return back to the comfort of Portage, Indiana. I guess there's no place like home right? However, we WERE excited for that coming Sunday because Claire, Hannah and I were all headed up to Bristol, Wisconsin for our annual trip to the Bristol Renaissance Faire! Here's where my total nerd complex kicks in. I actually take a huge amount of pride in telling my friends that my parents were the first couple to get married at the Bristol Renaissance Faire! They went together every year before any of us were even born, so technically I've been going ever since I was a fetus (kind of odd sounding huh?).
Costumes at the Renaissance Faire!
My warrior facepaint for the Renaissance Faire!

Of course the renaissance faire was a blast as always! Us three girls had so much fun together with the "thee's" and "thou's" and whatnot (not really, but kind of!). I swear, the nerd in me makes that place feel like a second home to me, but I'm not ashamed! 

The day before Claire left to go back to Florida, my family and I went to get our family picture taken by friends of ours, the same couple that did my modeling photos a while back! They are always so lively and upbeat and made it a fun experience that was captured for us to see forever.
The Family

Something I'll always remember is that no matter how tough times may get, your family will always be there for you. You may fight and bicker and get on each other's nerves, but when it comes down to what really matters, it's family that matters most. I would give anything for these people you see in this picture. They are my life and have helped shape me into the young woman I am today. Although it is my dream to wander the world and explore other lands and cultures that will take me away from home, I know that family will always be there for me when my feet get tired of wandering. 

Yours truly,
Erin  

2 comments:

  1. Wow! So much much fun with family. It is neat being a part of your experience! Looking forward to more your sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to being able to share more!

    ReplyDelete