Friday, September 5, 2014

High School: America v.s. Slovakia

Although high school is usually very similar almost anywhere you go, I have found a few differences between the high school that I'm use to in America verses high school here in Slovakia.

My Slovak school Jura Hronca

First off is the fact that the cafeteria is open almost all day for students to visit and get food when they have a free period that isn't filled with a class. HOWEVER! I am not 100% if this is completely true or not, it's from assumed knowledge that I've gathered through observing the hallways and the other students.

Second is that almost each student has a different schedule and many of them get out of school at different times. For example, since I have not had a schedule all week for school, each day I have gone with a different classmate from my homeroom to their classes (most of which are filled with many of our homeroom classmates) and every day I have gotten out at a different time. One day I got out at 2:15 pm but today I got out at 1:10 pm! And of course it already being Friday made today even better!

And third is that this school has combined elementary, middle, and high school classes, including the higher level courses which are called I.B. (I have no idea what it stands for). Altogether my school Jura Hronca contains approximately 1,200 students. This is a MUCH smaller amount of students than I am use to! In my hometown of Portage, Indiana, my high school alone contains about 2,600-2,700 students; more than twice the amount of the school I am currently attending in Bratislava!

That's all I've picked up on so far, but I'll be sure to update you once I find some more odd differences about my school. 
Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment